Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Discuss the columns here!

Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby Briandong79 » 28 Jun 2016, 08:35

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 30856
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby JT99 » 28 Jun 2016, 08:50

In 70 years of modern professional basketball, only four people consistently affected the balance of the league without playing: Red Auerbach, Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson and Riley. Auerbach was a wisecracking Russian American Jew who clicked with black players, empowered them and fought for them during the 20th century’s most tumultuous stretch. Jackson appealed to the egos of his signature stars while keeping the team’s collective personality in check. Popovich knew he struck oil with young Tim Duncan, a generational talent who cared only about winning titles and being a good teammate, so Pop created a culture that reflected Duncan’s unusual selflessness.

And Riley, more than the other three, was an opportunist — he never stopped looking for a better situation or another advantage. Riley was blessed with Popovich’s attention to culture and Jackson’s savviness for aligning with special players, but really, the dude has been more Auerbachian than he’d ever admit. We remember Auerbach as an insane competitor who never stopped looking for the next edge. Sound familiar? Once upon a time, Riley despised Auerbach’s Celtics so much that, during one mid-’80s practice at Boston Garden, he asked his trainer to dump the Lakers’ water barrel because he actually feared Auerbach had tried to poison it. But Auerbach is the only other NBA executive in 70 years, dead or alive, who could have pulled off LeBron and Bosh in the summer of 2010. Nobody else had enough foresight or charisma. It’s two people and two people only.


Yep, that's our author.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.


BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
User avatar
JT99
Between Bannings
 
Posts: 9619
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 22:58
Location: Bluesville

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby Briandong79 » 28 Jun 2016, 08:54

He wrote an article about how Pat Riley gets what he wants and starts off the column with a story about Pat Riley failing to get what he wanted. Ok.

ETA: Ok I read the whole thing and I get where he was going with it.

Also, Riley > Phil.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 30856
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby JichaelDick » 28 Jun 2016, 11:08

Briandong79 wrote:He wrote an article about how Pat Riley gets what he wants and starts off the column with a story about Pat Riley failing to get what he wanted. Ok.

ETA: Ok I read the whole thing and I get where he was going with it.

Also, Riley > Phil.


If we're talking just as coaches, no. If we're taking everything else into consideration, then absolutely--Riley's a MUCH, MUCH better personnel guy than Phil Jackson thought about being.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 25783
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Dang ol' Arlen, Texas, man

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby TheWolf » 28 Jun 2016, 11:12

My favorite part of this column was that there were like 3 sentences about Durant in the whole thing. Solid headline.

That said, it wasn't a bad read.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 17927
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 28 Jun 2016, 11:17

Players want to play for Gregg Popovich and Brad Stevens because everyone else loves playing for Popovich and Stevens. Word gets around.


Oh, okay.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 12690
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby TheWolf » 28 Jun 2016, 11:20

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Players want to play for Gregg Popovich and Brad Stevens because everyone else loves playing for Popovich and Stevens. Word gets around.


Oh, okay.


Groundbreaking shit, right there. People want to do things that other people say are good. Who knew?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 17927
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 28 Jun 2016, 11:23

TheWolf wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Players want to play for Gregg Popovich and Brad Stevens because everyone else loves playing for Popovich and Stevens. Word gets around.


Oh, okay.


Groundbreaking shit, right there. People want to do things that other people say are good. Who knew?


It's more along the lines of he's putting a guy who's coached three years in the league and been bounced from the first round of the playoffs twice in the East on par with Gregg Fucking Popovich.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 12690
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby Theny » 28 Jun 2016, 11:35

Excellent article. :thumbsup:
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30422
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby CourtesyFlush » 28 Jun 2016, 11:37

JichaelDick wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:He wrote an article about how Pat Riley gets what he wants and starts off the column with a story about Pat Riley failing to get what he wanted. Ok.

ETA: Ok I read the whole thing and I get where he was going with it.

Also, Riley > Phil.


If we're talking just as coaches, no. If we're taking everything else into consideration, then absolutely--Riley's a MUCH, MUCH better personnel guy than Phil Jackson thought about being.

Kinda helps when you're the beneficiary of multiple HOF players at the peaks of their respective careers (Phil Jax).

What Riles did with the Knicks needs to be taken into account with his coaching legacy. He went from coaching Showtime to a grind it out style best suited to the talent available.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14327
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 28 Jun 2016, 11:40

I walk around the club, fu*k everybody. And all my n*ggas got that Heat, I feel like Pat Riley
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 30785
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby JichaelDick » 28 Jun 2016, 11:40

CourtesyFlush wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:He wrote an article about how Pat Riley gets what he wants and starts off the column with a story about Pat Riley failing to get what he wanted. Ok.

ETA: Ok I read the whole thing and I get where he was going with it.

Also, Riley > Phil.


If we're talking just as coaches, no. If we're taking everything else into consideration, then absolutely--Riley's a MUCH, MUCH better personnel guy than Phil Jackson thought about being.

Kinda helps when you're the beneficiary of multiple HOF players at the peaks of their respective careers (Phil Jax).

What Riles did with the Knicks needs to be taken into account with his coaching legacy. He went from coaching Showtime to a grind it out style best suited to the talent available.


Phil Jax got to the playoffs on a team that had Smush F'n Parker as his point guard, to be fair. Riley was a great coach, no doubt--I just think Phil's better. But Riley has a much better "big picture" outlook than Jackson does--Jackson insists his way is the only way to win and hasn't given his coaches in New York a shot to adapt to the talent around him.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 25783
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Dang ol' Arlen, Texas, man

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby Theny » 28 Jun 2016, 11:47

JichaelDick wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:He wrote an article about how Pat Riley gets what he wants and starts off the column with a story about Pat Riley failing to get what he wanted. Ok.

ETA: Ok I read the whole thing and I get where he was going with it.

Also, Riley > Phil.


If we're talking just as coaches, no. If we're taking everything else into consideration, then absolutely--Riley's a MUCH, MUCH better personnel guy than Phil Jackson thought about being.

Kinda helps when you're the beneficiary of multiple HOF players at the peaks of their respective careers (Phil Jax).

What Riles did with the Knicks needs to be taken into account with his coaching legacy. He went from coaching Showtime to a grind it out style best suited to the talent available.


Phil Jax got to the playoffs on a team that had Smush F'n Parker as his point guard, to be fair. Riley was a great coach, no doubt--I just think Phil's better. But Riley has a much better "big picture" outlook than Jackson does--Jackson insists his way is the only way to win and hasn't given his coaches in New York a shot to adapt to the talent around him.


All I can picture when I think back on Phil's coaching career is him sitting on the bench, emotionless. And I think of him forcing his players to read his stupid books, which is obnoxious.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30422
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby CourtesyFlush » 28 Jun 2016, 11:49

Theny wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:He wrote an article about how Pat Riley gets what he wants and starts off the column with a story about Pat Riley failing to get what he wanted. Ok.

ETA: Ok I read the whole thing and I get where he was going with it.

Also, Riley > Phil.


If we're talking just as coaches, no. If we're taking everything else into consideration, then absolutely--Riley's a MUCH, MUCH better personnel guy than Phil Jackson thought about being.

Kinda helps when you're the beneficiary of multiple HOF players at the peaks of their respective careers (Phil Jax).

What Riles did with the Knicks needs to be taken into account with his coaching legacy. He went from coaching Showtime to a grind it out style best suited to the talent available.


Phil Jax got to the playoffs on a team that had Smush F'n Parker as his point guard, to be fair. Riley was a great coach, no doubt--I just think Phil's better. But Riley has a much better "big picture" outlook than Jackson does--Jackson insists his way is the only way to win and hasn't given his coaches in New York a shot to adapt to the talent around him.


All I can picture when I think back on Phil's coaching career is him sitting on the bench, emotionless. And I think of him forcing his players to read his stupid books, which is obnoxious.

All he had to do was convince two transcendent players (MJ, Shaq) to buy in and the rest fell in lockstep.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14327
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Pat Riley wants Kevin Durant 6/28/16

Postby Jew Jitsu » 28 Jun 2016, 11:52

Riley sure was classy with Lebron leaving. Also what player went to Boston to play for Stevens? Amir Johnson? Ok.
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
User avatar
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8726
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 15:12
Location: Sunset Blvd., North Pole

Next

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests