imissedcota
Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson

Re: 2015 Trade Value: Part 1

Postby nova » 23 Jan 2015, 13:39

imissedcota wrote:http://grantland.com/features/2015-nba-trade-value-part-1/

I always enjoy these.

I'm just here to see DtheF freak out.

ETA: And this. holy shit.

Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Dthefritz » 23 Jan 2015, 19:23

After Rose upended LeBron’s budding MVP Award dynasty in 2011, Chicagoans loved him as much as the ’85 Bears

Considering that the Bears rolled to a title and are considered one of the greatest NFL teams in history, I think they may have been a little more popular than a guy who's most successful team was bitch-slapped in the conference finals in 5 games. Maybe Chicagoans aren't as sophisticated as the Gahhhhden-ites and don't recognize the importance of winining titles.

He’s likable enough and humble enough that Adidas paid him $185 million just to wear its sneakers.

Shit, even the most naive 5 year old in the world understands that athletes get endorsement deals because they're really successful and famous, not because they're good guys or anything.

He plays the league’s most important position in the pace-and-space era — the slash-and-kick creator, the relentless penetrator who (on paper) relies on speed/athleticism/craftiness to create shots for himself and 3s for teammates. And he’s only 26 years old. He SHOULD be entering his prime.

But oh my god, what could have possible gone wrong with such a talented young player?

Rose has suffered two season-ending knee injuries already.

NO WAY, I HAD NO IDEA. Building up this narrative would make sense if he was talking about some long-forgotten player who had a brief flash of brilliance before flaming out, but he's acting like it's news to us that Rose's career has been short-circuited by injuries, when everyone and his mom knows this.

This season, he’s shooting 42 percent from the field and a yucky 32 percent from 3

As opposed to his MVP season when he shot 44 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3. Not that he hasn't fallen off, obviously, but this is just lazy analysis.

I don’t ever remember saying to myself, “I wish Derrick Rose would reinvent himself as a shooter.”

Holy fuck, Rose has to shoot more jumpers because he's injured, and now you're laying on the snark because it's not an ideal fit for his talents? What a raging prick.

If you made up an adjective to describe Westbrook or MVP Rose, it would be “freakocious.”

I wouldn't make up an adjective to describe these guys, because the existing English vocabulary is perfectly capable of making such a description. You're not Lewis Carrol, fuckface.

If you feel like antagonizing a buddy who loves the Knicks (and why wouldn’t you?), text him the following three questions in succession.

Now let's play a little game. If you want to ball-bust a Knicks fan, do you

A) Point out that their team is absolutely fucking horrible right now
B) Make fun of the many horrible roster moves they have made over the past few years
C) Propose a hypothetical fake trade and make fun of them for hypothetically doing it because they're stupid!1!!!!!!!

Would you trade Stoudemire’s expiring for Rose?

(They’d say yes … but begrudgingly, and only after mentally passing the “We definitely can’t get Gasol or Aldridge this summer, right?” checkpoints.)

First of all, I or any other Knicks fan who isn't a complete retard would not say yes. Second of all, as dumb as the Knicks are, they are 100% in tank mode right now. There pretty much zero chance they are trading Amare for anyone who would help the team right now.

Check out the nine-man rotations for the Western no. 1 seeds in 2007 and 2015.

2007 Mavericks: Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, Erick Dampier, Devin Harris, Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, DeSagana Diop, Greg Buckner, Devean George.

2015 Warriors: Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Harrison Barnes, David Lee, Andre Iguodala, Andrew Bogut, Marreese Speights, Shaun Livingston.

Are you kidding me??? Would the ’07 Mavs even make the playoffs in the West in 2015?

Jesus, that's some thick hyperbole, even for Simmons. The Warriors this year are probably a better team than the '07 Mavs, but those guys would almost certainly make the playoffs. Dirk in his prime was unreal, and that roster has a shit ton of offensive talent, solid perimeter D with Howard and Harris, and an unremarkable but passable frontcourt that did a good job defensively against Shaq in the finals. They won 67 games, and it's not like the West was a cakewalk back then.

We’re riding a talent boom that rivals the MJ/Hakeem/Barkley/Robinson era in the early 1990s

I'm pretty sure Simmons says this every year.

#freekennethfaried

When will this average power forward get to compete for a title, is there no justice on this earth?

Jrue Holiday (no. 40) is Darren Collison with better defense and a better agent

Also he's taller and better shooter, but if your point is that you're an idiot for putting him on the trade value column, then I can't really argue with that.

I knew Larry Sanders (no. 34) had entered the Tyson Zone after a friend tricked me into thinking Larry nicknamed his bong “Hank Kingsley”

You're a gullible nitwit.

and Ricky Rubio (no. 22) needs a basketball exorcism with priests and everything.

Most people would say he's on a crappy team that just lost a very good player, but can you prove demonic possession isn't behind is lackluster play? You can't.

My daughter thinks he looks like a priest and yells out “Father Kelly Olynyk!” every time he makes a 3. Great nickname, you have to admit.

You're unsurprisingly raising a mini-douchette and I am not compelled to like her terrible joke. Especially considering that Kelly Olynyk looks less like a priest than a NorCal mountain biking instructor who sells shrooms on the side.

Dad: “I wouldn’t trade Sullinger straight-up for Love.”

Simmons has apparently inherited the homeristic tardery gene, but not the ability to sound endearing whlie spouting it.

Then again, it’s a good sign for Randle’s future that (a) Boston offered Rondo for Randle and Steve Nash’s expiring contract, and (b) the Lakers said no.

It says precisely fuck-all that Boston offered a retarded, one-sided trade that the Lakers wisely refused.

Kemba Walker: Maybe he’s a little too overpaid/me-first/one-dimensional/metric-unfriendly right now, and maybe he doesn’t have a conventional position … but he’s competitive enough and fearless enough that he could thrive on a contender someday. In other words, meet the next Monta Ellis.

That's like saying Andre Drummond is a physically overpowering center who can't shoot free throws, in other words meet the next Shaq. Monta Ellis is infinitely more talented than Kemba Walker, come on now.

Yes, we live in a world in which (a) Mozgov just fetched a better trade haul than Rondo, and (b) it wasn’t totally crazy.

Let's play Simmons mad-libs again. Does he

a) admit that Rondo wasn't as good as he thought/hasn't been the same player since getting hurt?
b) Praise Mozgov
c) Passive agressively tear down Mozgov and gratuitously reference Rondo's performance in the 2012 ECF?

Roy Hibbert: You put up with his ugly post-ups and his ghastly offensive numbers (2014-15: 11.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 45% FG) because he’s still the King of Verticality. Can you think of a better reason why the post-George Pacers have stayed in the top 10 for defensive efficiency?

Everybody who follows basketball knows Hibbert is a great defensive presence, and anchored the Pacers for the past few years. Why, then, would you ask "Can you think of a better reason" than the obvious fact that he's still anchoring the Pacer's D? You might think Toni Kukoc was the best player on the '96 Bulls, but you have another thing coming ignorant reader!!!

DeAndre Jordan: He’s one of the worst two free throw shooters in NBA history. (No, seriously.) He’s a surprisingly mediocre one-on-one defender, as craftier scorers like Al Horford and the Gasols keep proving.

That's really not surprising, given that he's a bit skinny for post D, and he has a staggeringly low basketbal IQ.

He gets yanked from crunch time more often than you’d think.

Only insiders like me get to watch the Clippers who are on national TV once every two weeks.

BUT — he’s been a top-five rebounder and a top-eight rim protector for two straight seasons. And he’s only 26.

OK. So in spite of his flaws, the Clippers should re-sign him, right?

I’ll spell it out for you: This summer, DeAndre will become the most expensive player-who-can’t-score in NBA history. Congratulations in advance, Clippers Nation!

Did he call the Mavs geniuses for trading for Tyson Chandler earlier in this column? Yes, he did.

Taj Gibson: Our leading contender for 2015’s David West Award, given annually to the playoff guy who draws so many “He’s underrated!” comments that he becomes weirdly overrated.

Not sure this ever happened to Gibson, but this can happen, even if it's barely worth pointing out.

His biggest competition: Jamal Crawford, still an elite Heat Check Guy at age 34 … only he’s a lousy defender and a 40 percent shooter

Things that everybody who watches basketball realizes. Who the fuck has ever called Crawford underrated? He's been the same player for 15 years, and everybody has a pretty good handle on him.

he’s been playing crunch time for a contender only because of reasons like “We’ve whiffed on every pick we’ve made since Blake Griffin,” “We only sign free-agent perimeter guys if they’ve been washed up for at least two years” and “We used our limited trade assets to try to salvage the career of the coach’s son.”

If only they had traded Eric Bledsoe for KG like you advocated, they'd be rolling in O'Brien trophies. What a fucking chode.

Harrison Barnes: No ESPN employee is allowed to say that Steve Kerr’s coaching staff has been SIGNIFICANTLY better than Mark Jackson’s coaching staff (for obvious reasons).

Except that you just did.
So let’s just say that, after looking like Marvin Williams 2.0 last season, the 22-year-old Barnes is suddenly good at basketball again. Maybe it’s a miracle.

Or maybe an unproven young player had an off-season for any number of reasons, including Draymond Green rightly taking his PT, or maybe he got complacent and didn't work hard enough in the off-season. It's possible that Jackson botched the situation, but you can't really say for sure.

Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton: 2015’s copresidents of the “If They Learn How To Shoot, Look Out!” Club.

If Payton learns to shoot, he's the next Jason Kidd. If Smart learns to shoot, he's a poor man's Shawn Marion. Nice conflation there.

Ben McLemore: Turns 22 next month. Hold on, lemme check my “One Of The Three Texas Teams Will Steal Him Someday And Turn Him Into A Valuable 50-40-80 Guy” checklist.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ben McLemore shooting 50% from the field, good one.

Also, here’s how smart the Spurs are: I am convinced they took a “chance” on Austin Daye, even though he isn’t good at basketball, because they know they need to screw up every so often. Why? So the other 29 teams won’t get suspicious every time they pursue someone they actually like.

I am at a loss for words. He's actually serious about this. You think the Spurs would waste a roster spot and jeopardize a title run with Duncan on his last legs for this kind of bullshit? God damn it, listen to yourself.

59. Greg Monroe
For an earlier draft of this piece, I wrote that “if Greg Monroe was a junk food item, he’d be Pop Chips’ sweet potato flavor.” In other words, he made you spend an inordinate amount of time wondering why his flavor doesn’t work.

Without spending an inordinate amount of time, y ou could pretty easily say that Monroe was trapped on a team with two other frontcourt players who couldn't shoot, and that he's a lead-footed post player in an era when those guys are becoming less valuable.

Also, are we to understand that Bill Simmons tries some new food, and instead of saying "too bad it was shitty" and moving on with his life, stares into the Cosmos and screams "BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? WHY WASN"T THIS SWEET POTATO SNACK AS DELICIOUS AS IT WAS IN MY IMAGINATION?"

Holy shit, I'm only on number 59. No end in sight and I can't take it anymore. More later, maybe.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 24 Jan 2015, 10:11

<3 dtf

52. Kevin Love
Before the season, I wrote a 230,000-word column explaining why Love was underrated. Before the season, he would have cracked the top 15 of this column. Before the season, it would have been inconceivable if you told me, “In January, someone will ask you if you’d trade Boston’s 2015 unprotected first-rounder for Kevin Love and you’d say ‘NO EFFING WAY.’” In the 1970s and 1980s, multiple superstars in their mid-twenties abruptly tailed off for two really good reasons: cocaine or knee injuries. In the 1990s and 2000s, that dropped to one reason: knee injuries. In 2015? There is NO acceptable reason why someone as good as Love would free-fall this badly. It’s dumbfounding. Look at this …

2014 (77 games): 26.1 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 4.4 apg, 46-38-82% splits, 26.9 PER

2015 (40 games): 17.7 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 43-33-83% splits, 19.2 PER

And that doesn’t cover his more-dreadful-than-ever defense, his utter inability to protect the rim, LeBron’s inability to conceal his disgust for Love’s game at times, or the Eye Test repeatedly telling us things like “He dogged it on that play” and “He seems genuinely unhappy.” And maybe he is. But Love’s Cleveland experience has been a borderline basketball tragedy; it’s made the idea of trading real assets for him (especially when he can opt out) more than a little daunting. Nobody was more fun on League Pass last season. What a shame. I miss watching Kevin Love play basketball well.

Yeah. This has been a debacle so far. I have no fucking clue what or why or how he's been so shitty this year. I've been trying to blame Blatt or Irving or something but I got nothing. He should conceivably be shooting better. Less points was to be expected, rebounds too I guess (still 10th in rebounding), but fuck. I maintain this was a top 10 player last year. Now? :beatsme:
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 24 Jan 2015, 11:34

Hasn't Rose had a tail off precisely BECAUSE of knee injuries???
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby mj3528 » 24 Jan 2015, 14:00

MisterTambourineMan wrote:<3 dtf

52. Kevin Love
Before the season, I wrote a 230,000-word column explaining why Love was underrated. Before the season, he would have cracked the top 15 of this column. Before the season, it would have been inconceivable if you told me, “In January, someone will ask you if you’d trade Boston’s 2015 unprotected first-rounder for Kevin Love and you’d say ‘NO EFFING WAY.’” In the 1970s and 1980s, multiple superstars in their mid-twenties abruptly tailed off for two really good reasons: cocaine or knee injuries. In the 1990s and 2000s, that dropped to one reason: knee injuries. In 2015? There is NO acceptable reason why someone as good as Love would free-fall this badly. It’s dumbfounding. Look at this …

And that doesn’t cover his more-dreadful-than-ever defense, his utter inability to protect the rim, LeBron’s inability to conceal his disgust for Love’s game at times, or the Eye Test repeatedly telling us things like “He dogged it on that play” and “He seems genuinely unhappy.” And maybe he is. But Love’s Cleveland experience has been a borderline basketball tragedy; it’s made the idea of trading real assets for him (especially when he can opt out) more than a little daunting. Nobody was more fun on League Pass last season. What a shame. I miss watching Kevin Love play basketball well.

Yeah. This has been a debacle so far. I have no fucking clue what or why or how he's been so shitty this year. I've been trying to blame Blatt or Irving or something but I got nothing. He should conceivably be shooting better. Less points was to be expected, rebounds too I guess (still 10th in rebounding), but fuck. I maintain this was a top 10 player last year. Now? :beatsme:

I think I have a good roster now, and Kevin Love will improve the rest of the way. His shooting is a bit of a mystery.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Dthefritz » 24 Jan 2015, 15:16

58. Paul Millsap
Wins himself three different honors: “Best Free-Agent Bargain of the 2010s” (Atlanta stole him for $19 million over two years, which seemed utterly insane even at the time)

It was a good deal for the Hawks. "Utterly insane" seems like a bit of a stretch.

“Best Secretly Successful Player” (for career win shares of active NBA players, Millsap is one of only five under-30 guys in the top 50);

Secretly successful! Millsap is generally underappreciated, but anybody who's enough of an NBA fan to know that win shares is a thing is probably aware of how good Millsap is.

“Best Night-To-Night JumboTron Surprise” (he never jumps out if you’re watching him in person, then you look up with nine minutes left and say, “Wait, Millsap has 18 and 8 right now?”).

If you don't notice someone has 18 and 8 over the course of a game, you should probably not spend entire NBA games texting your friends about the latest episode of The Challenge.

Even if none of the Hawks possess the freaky gifts of, say, Russell Westbrook, their self-awareness is off the charts. They know exactly what they can and can’t do. And their coach exploits the “what they can do” part accordingly. They’re an indie movie that figured out how to SEEM big-budget; they could have been directed by Richard Linklater.

BUT WHO IS THE WOODERSON OF THE HAWKS? WHO IS THE SLATER? WAS THEIR 2013 SEASON NOT ExACTLY LIKE BEFORE SUNSET?

Draymond is Golden State’s best defender, feistiest player and locker-room alpha dog, as well as one of the few stretch 4s who defends everyone from Jimmy Butler to Blake Griffin.

But Mark Jackson is an idiot for starting him over Harrison Barnes!

By the way, with Sasha Vujacic and Sasha Vujacic’s hair now stuck playing in Turkey, I’d like to pour a 40 out for one of my favorite NBA feuds ever: Dragic vs. Vujacic, or, as Trey Kerby dubbed it, “The Great Slovenian Feud.” We never knew why they hated each other, just that they did.

I have to acknowledge Bill for referencing "The Starters", and for putting the original Basketball Jones podcast on the Grantland network. For a smug, know-nothing fraud he sure isn't afraid to surround himself with people who make him look like an idiot by comparison. That said, it's really not hard to imagine why anyone, even a fellow Slovene, would hate Sasha Vujacic, especially if they were playing each other in a chippy 7 game series like the 2010 WCF where Steve Nash got his nose broken multiple times.

And congratulations to my new favorite NBA Mystery Feud: Blake Griffin vs. Every Non-Clipper.

Even a fan of Blake Griffin should be able to see readily why every player wants a piece of this cocky son of a bitch.

53. Eric Bledsoe
Needs to play 2,500 minutes in ONE season before he cracks the top 50. (Since 48 guys did it last season, we’re not asking for much here.)

If you're not in the top 50 in total minutes played, you're not one of the 50 top trade pieces. Immutable law of mankind since this paragraph began.

Meanwhile, did you notice how many 2013 draft guys made this column already? (With more on the way!)

I swear to god if he puts Giannis above Oladipo and MCW, I swear to god.

49. Jonas Valanciunas
48. Nikola Vucevic
Two enticing young centers with defensive flaws: Jonas needs to fix the whole “I’m playing for a contender that’s afraid to keep me out there in the fourth quarter” thing, and Vucevic needs to fix the whole “Right now, I’m a much better fantasy player than a real NBA player” thing.

So what you're saying is they both suck at defense but you're relating one of those things to fantasy basketball and one to real life? Cool.

(One great Nurk-related What If: Denver picked him at no. 16, one spot after Atlanta whiffed on Adreian Payne. Imagine the exceedingly lovable Nurk coming off the bench for the exceedingly lovable Hawks. We’d have to hose down Zach Lowe every morning. Not to mention, wouldn’t you have watched the TNT reality series Nurk and Pero? I have a lot of regrets here.)

LOL TWO EURO BIG GUYS ON THE SAME TEAM, that's never happened before except with the Kings, Spurs, Nuggets (before they traded Mozgov), the Sonics and probably lot of other teams I can't think of off the top of my head.

Nurkic is legit though, I will give him that.

46. Nikola Mirotic
What a revelation. Thibs can’t keep him off the floor. He’s like a rich man’s Vlad Radmanovic after three lines of cocaine and four Red Bulls, only if Vlad Radmanovic gave a shit. I love Mirotic’s game. How do we still have 46 guys left? We just ripped off two of my favorites back-to-back!

Remember how he shits on guys every year in the draft for making obvious comps? Also, for the record Vlad Rad did give a shit and was good on the Sonics/Clippers before he got that big contract. I maintain that my Radmanovic jersey was a good investment!

old on, lemme make sure we don’t have to adjust the “Billy King’s Top Five Worst Nets Trades Ever” rankings.

DEFCON 5: The Horrendous Brook Lopez Trade That’s Coming (in progress).

DEFCON 4: Landed Deron Williams for Favors, Devin Harris, a 2011 unprotected first-rounder (no. 3 overall: Enes Kanter) and another protected first-rounder (2013: no. 21, Gorgui Dieng).

DEFCON 3: Landed soon-to-be free agent Gerald Wallace for expirings and a top-three protected first-rounder in 2012 (no. 6 overall: Damian Lillard … egads!).

DEFCON 2: Landed Joe Johnson and Joe Johnson’s Crazy Contract for some expirings, Houston’s 2013 first-rounder (no. 18: Shane Larkin, who was traded to Dallas), Brooklyn’s 2017 second-rounder, and Atlanta’s right to swap first-rounders in 2014 and 2015 (uh-oh).

DEFCON 1: KG, Pierce and Jason Terry for Wallace’s contract, some expirings, Atlanta’s first-round pick in 2014 (no. 17: James Young), unprotected first-rounders in 2016 (yes!) and 2018 (YES!), and Boston’s right to swap first-rounders in 2017 (YESSSSSS!!!!!!).

Look, I'm not going to say that Billy King is a genius or anything but I can't kill him for the Williams trade because he was widely considered a top 10 or so player and then fell off a cliff relatively early in his career. Also, he was under tremendous pressure from ownership to win now, and the only way the Nets could do that was to trade picks and absorb some bad contracts. Really you should blame Prokhorov, but LOL he's so tall and eccentric and foreign, how can you hate Prokhorov?

44. The Completely Rejuvenated Pau Gasol
Big year for everyone in the “We Still Think Pau Gasol Can Be An Elite Player, He Was Just Bummed Out Playing With Kobe On A Team That Marginalized Him And Repeatedly Tried to Trade Him” Fan Club. We’ve been partying pretty much every night.

Well I was a member of that club, but I don't know if I've been partying. Even though his performance vindicates people who thought that he still had it, it also vindicates people who thought that he was a massive cunt who checks out if everything isn't exactly the way he wants it. Coincidentally, I'm both of those people.

FYI: Millsap and Teague earn a combined $17.5 million this season, nearly $6 million less than Joe Johnson … the guy who Atlanta GM Danny Ferry traded in July 2012 so he’d have enough cap space to spend smartly on guys like Teague and Millsap. Oh, and he picked up German Rondo and that sneaky-great 2015 pick swap in the Johnson trade. My god, how awkward is it gonna be when the Hawks finish 64-18 and Danny Ferry wins the 2015 NBA Executive of the Year? I’m already cringing.

My god, it's like he learned from his mistakes and became a better GM. Maybe if you didn't have a fucking meltdown on twitter everytime you disagreed with a personnel move, you might be able to be more rational about shit.

42. Zach Randolph
What’s the craziest Z-Bo fact? Is it …

And another episode of "does Simmons know the definition of a fact"?

• Nicknamed after the lunatic from Friday?

This may be true, but on the other hand, people from the south and blacks have been putting "bo" after names for quite some time. You know, like Jimbo? Then again, Simmons doesn't know the difference between cornrows and dreadlocks, so maybe we can cut him some slack here.

After nearly 35 years, finally filled Elvis’s void as the King of Memphis?

And helped them get over the MLK Shooting!

• Salary-dumped three times in three years (an NBA record)?

A lot of guys have been traded multiple times over a relatively short span, what's really crazy is that the Grizz got him straight up for Quentin Richardson. You think Simmons the master of "LOL WORST GM EVAH, YOU AHHH NO MATCH FO-AH DANNY AINGE'S FACKIN INTELLECT!!!" takes would have mentioned this at some point.

• Showed off a framed picture of Nelson Mandela during his Cribs episode?

Yeah, it's crazy that black people would think highly of Nelson Mandela.

• Refers to his son as “Little Z-Bo”?

Funny, but I don't know if it's crazy. George Foreman naming like 7 kids after himself is closer to crazy.

• Goes out of his way to legally torment Blake Griffin whenever he can?

Two intensely competitive guys who play the same position and have faced each other in the playoffs three times! And they don't like each other? ZOMG!!!!

• Guaranteed to earn $175 million for his career if he retires after June 2017?

This is either a "Basketball players make too much money, what about teachers and firemen?" TAEK or a "how did THIS guy make so much money he's not even that good" TAEK, but either way it's moronic.

• That “Zach Randolph” and “drugs” is one of the most fun Google searches?

FACT! I don't have too much snark here, though. Randolph probably has the shadiest record of any NBA star player I can remember. Say what you want about AI, but he never used his NBA salary to fund an ongoing criminal organization.

• He’s the second-best guy on the West’s most dangerous contender?

Most dangerous contender should by definition mean team most likely to win the title. I love the Grizz, and think they probably have a legit shot at RINGZ for the first time, but I don't know if you can really go this far.

• He’s one of 18 players to play at least 850 games, average 17 ppg and 9.5 rpg and have a career PER over 19 … and the other 17 guys were Hall of Famers and future Hall of Famers?

Surprise! ZBo's been really good for a long time! Who knew?

41. Joakim Noah
In 2014, I happily voted for Noah for first-team All-NBA.

HAHA take that Dwight Howard, you are obviously the best center in the league but I can use my power as an award voter to screw you over because of my personal bias!

We can’t have the playoffs without Phoenix. We just can’t. Change the rules right now so they get in.

It really saddens me that I won't be able to bounce my grandchildren on my lap telling them about the time that Phoenix lost in 5 games to OKC in the first round, but PJ Tucker had this really egregious flagrant foul on Russ Westbrook and I cheered loudly at the TV.

39. Wesley Matthews
A 2015 market max guy with short-term trade value because he’s so useful. Last time I checked, A-list defenders with playoff experience who crank 7 and a half 3s per game and make 40 percent aren’t growing on trees. Is there a better player who has played six years or more without making an All-Star team?

Zach Randolph (remember him?) wasn't an all-star until his 9th season. Has there ever been a lazier, more hyperbolic rhetorical question in a Simmons mailbag?

38. Kyle Korver
The rare NBA player who belatedly became a star in his early thirties.

I know arguing about the relative merits of STAR is an exercise in brain-exploding futility with Simmons (FACK YOU TOBEY MAGWIAHHH), but I don't know what definition of star includes Kyle Korver. But of course, a bunch of much smarter basketball people have been praising Korver, so to stake his own claim he has to one-up them with some ridiculous hyperbole. He really is the ruiner of all things good.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Theny » 24 Jan 2015, 15:44

52. Kevin Love

I think America owes Chris Bosh an apology.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby JT99 » 24 Jan 2015, 17:00

Theny wrote:

52. Kevin Love

I think America owes Chris Bosh an apology.

Don't forget Bix and :ourhomeandnativeland:
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Incogneetus69 » 24 Jan 2015, 23:48

He Implied there is a Brooklyn net on the top 60. Um Who?
Incogneetus69
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Dthefritz » 25 Jan 2015, 23:09

Incogneetus69 wrote:He Implied there is a Brooklyn net on the top 60. Um Who?

Has to be Brooky-wooky, no? If so, I'm sure it's just so Billy can tell us that he voted him 2nd Team All-NBA, even though he missed half the season, because FACK YOU DWIGHT COWAHHD!!!
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Incogneetus69 » 26 Jan 2015, 11:49

I like the guy an think he may flourish on a good team but that's a tough sell with his Injuries. Although he's kinda an expiring, so.
Incogneetus69
Another dude worth meeting

Postby KingMTheFirst » 31 Jan 2015, 14:10

Dthefritz wrote:
So let’s just say that, after looking like Marvin Williams 2.0 last season, the 22-year-old Barnes is suddenly good at basketball again. Maybe it’s a miracle.

Or maybe an unproven young player had an off-season for any number of reasons, including Draymond Green rightly taking his PT, or maybe he got complacent and didn't work hard enough in the off-season. It's possible that Jackson botched the situation, but you can't really say for sure.

No, YOU can't say for sure, but YOU didn't grow up watching the LEGEND, so you don't realy get basketball. Do you even know The Secret?

Dthefritz wrote:
Also, here’s how smart the Spurs are: I am convinced they took a “chance” on Austin Daye, even though he isn’t good at basketball, because they know they need to screw up every so often. Why? So the other 29 teams won’t get suspicious every time they pursue someone they actually like.

I am at a loss for words. He's actually serious about this. You think the Spurs would waste a roster spot and jeopardize a title run with Duncan on his last legs for this kind of bullshit? God damn it, listen to yourself.

Not only does he propose this idiocy might exist, he cites it as an example of the Spurs' intelligence! He said this on a podcast with Zach Lowe too. I still don't know if he's serious.
KingMTheFirst
Farva's Driver

Postby Dthefritz » 31 Jan 2015, 18:19

KingMTheFirst wrote:Dthefritz wrote:

No, YOU can't say for sure, but YOU didn't grow up watching the LEGEND, so you don't realy get basketball. Do you even know The Secret?

The Secret is to combine dahhhhkie athleticism with non-dahhhhhkie intangibles. This can be achieved by drafting light-skinned blacks (Warriors), Euro/Carribean blacks (Spurs), or by having the legendary Garden crowd teach its players superior intangibles, either by cheering in a unique and magical fashion or smearing shit on the walls of players' homes.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Maestro » 12 Feb 2015, 01:01

Dthefritz wrote:
53. Eric Bledsoe
Needs to play 2,500 minutes in ONE season before he cracks the top 50. (Since 48 guys did it last season, we’re not asking for much here.)

If you're not in the top 50 in total minutes played, you're not one of the 50 top trade pieces. Immutable law of mankind since this paragraph began.

As a bit of a Bledsoe fan that caught my eye since he is ranked 13th so far this year with 1795 minutes. It must be the dream of making the list next year that is holding his knees together for now. He played almost every game in 2010-11 and 2012-13 but was obviously not a starter. Hardly an unusual injury risk after missing 1 game this year.

Apparently this rule does not apply to
51. Victor Oladipo, 2487 minutes (sorry close but rules are rules)
50. Alex Len, 362 minutes (no injury risk here)
49. Jonas Valanciunas, 2282 minutes
48. Nikola Vucevic, 1812 minutes last year but 2559 minutes in 2012-13 so we have a winner.
47. Jusuf Nurkic , 0 minutes
46. Nikola Mirotic, 0 minutes
45. Derrick Favors, 2201 minutes
Maestro
Grantland Editor

Next

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh