20 years since OJ

Discuss the columns here!

20 years since OJ

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 11 Jun 2014, 11:09

http://grantland.com/features/sports-guys-vault-remembering-the-o-j-trial/

And this is what drives me the most crazy about Bill--
If the trial happened in 2004 instead of 1995, Simpson and his gravity-defying noggin probably would be rotting away in prison right now

He really thinks he's an expert on everything. He gets the NBA, I get that. But Hollywood, gambling, trials, enough!! And yet I start most of his columns. Habit at this point.

EDIT--I did check to see if this article had been a topic before. It hadn't.
Last edited by Seahawks XL Champs on 11 Jun 2014, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum

Re: 20 years since OJ

Postby mj3528 » 11 Jun 2014, 11:10

Seahawks XL Champs wrote:http://grantland.com/features/sports-guys-vault-remembering-the-o-j-trial/

And this is what drives me the most crazy about Bill--
If the trial happened in 2004 instead of 1995, Simpson and his gravity-defying noggin probably would be rotting away in prison right now

He really thinks he's an expert on everything. He gets the NBA, I get that. But Hollywood, gambling, trials, enough!! And yet I start most of his columns. Habit at this point.

In fairness to the sports guy, DNA evidence is more accepted by juries now and many legal experts have pointed that out.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 11 Jun 2014, 11:11

You can ascertain OJ’s guilt just by observing his walk.

Hisssssssssss.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Briandong79 » 11 Jun 2014, 11:21

One of my favorite Simmons columns ever.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Colonel Angus » 11 Jun 2014, 12:46

Briandong79 wrote:One of my favorite Simmons columns ever.

It's a good column.

This part raised my eyebrow a bit:

This was Generation X’s defining “I remember exactly where I was when it happened” moment, our version of JFK’s assassination. You couldn’t think of something to say that could match the moment, so you didn’t even try. There were no words.

He's referring there to the reading of the verdict, which happened in October of 1995. Less than six years away from 9/11.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby SouthernYokel » 11 Jun 2014, 12:50

Colonel Angus wrote:This part raised my eyebrow a bit:

This was Generation X’s defining “I remember exactly where I was when it happened” moment, our version of JFK’s assassination. You couldn’t think of something to say that could match the moment, so you didn’t even try. There were no words.

He's referring there to the reading of the verdict, which happened in October of 1995. Less than six years away from 9/11.

i guess his argument would be if you are 30 by the time 9/11 hits it's no longer your generation's event, so you get shuffled back to something that happened in the 90s...there's not a ton to choose from in the 90's. for americans. sorry jitz.
Last edited by SouthernYokel on 11 Jun 2014, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby JT99 » 11 Jun 2014, 12:51

Colonel Angus wrote:

It's a good column.

And not that far away from when Magic Johnson ruined the sex lives of college kids
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby JichaelDick » 11 Jun 2014, 13:10

Colonel Angus wrote:

It's a good column.

I'll grant I was 9, but the OKC bombing (which took place about 6 months before the OJ verdict) stuck with me more.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby the cheese » 11 Jun 2014, 13:17

JichaelDick wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

It's a good column.

I'll grant I was 9, but the OKC bombing (which took place about 6 months before the OJ verdict) stuck with me more.

Word.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Briandong79 » 11 Jun 2014, 13:22

the cheese wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

It's a good column.

Word.

Obviously it was a bigger deal in OKC, and maybe the South as a whole, but I don't remember where I was when I first heard about the OKC bombing. I do distinctly remember Magic's announcement, Columbine, OJ's verdict, and 9/11 though (Middle school basketball game, just got home from school, Geometry, trying to celebrate before class in law school, respectively).
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby SouthernYokel » 11 Jun 2014, 13:25

Briandong79 wrote:trying to celebrate before class in law school, respectively).

haha. gonna need a SFW version of that story for the 15th anniversary.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Briandong79 » 11 Jun 2014, 13:26

SouthernYokel wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:trying to celebrate before class in law school, respectively).

haha. gonna need a SFW version of that story for the 15th anniversary.

Not much to it really, roommate had a class earlier than me so I had the laptop desktop fired up, heard them interrupt SportsCenter to tell people to tune into ABC, went out to check on that and never made it back to celebrating.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 11 Jun 2014, 13:28

Goddamn Mohammed Atta.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mj3528 » 11 Jun 2014, 13:29

Briandong79 wrote:
the cheese wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

It's a good column.

Word.

Obviously it was a bigger deal in OKC, and maybe the South as a whole, but I don't remember where I was when I first heard about the OKC bombing. I do distinctly remember Magic's announcement, Columbine, OJ's verdict, and 9/11 though (Middle school basketball game, just got home from school, Geometry, trying to celebrate before class in law school, respectively).

I don't remember where I was for Columbine, but I remember the others:

Magic's announcement: using a friend's computer to type a law school assignment

OJ's verdict: watching a crappy tv at work

OKC bombing: on the radio driving back from Zanesville, O following a court hearing

9/11: my then girlfriend, future wife, calling me from the hospital where she was very sick and taking all kind of drugs calling me at work and saying, "I think something is up with the FAA. A plane hit the world trade center. Another one just did too."
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby the cheese » 11 Jun 2014, 13:34

The OKC bombing, according to my parents and multiple other adults, changed the reaction to when you said you were from Oklahoma. Before the bombing people asked "Do you all ride horses to work there?" After the bombing it was "Were you in the bombing?"
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Next

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh