The Warriors are Tortured

Discuss the columns here!

The Warriors are Tortured

Postby Briandong79 » 21 Mar 2012, 08:21

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Re: The Warriors are Tortured

Postby Bricks » 21 Mar 2012, 11:42

nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 21 Mar 2012, 12:55

That was phenomenal, one of the best things he has put together in a long time.
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby Bricks » 21 Mar 2012, 14:04

Derisive gif aside, started reading. Pretty good so far, though I hope he's not being sarcastic here:

23. Within four months, Nelson resigned as coach and GM, just a couple of weeks before Golden State flipped Gugliotta to Minnesota for the perennially disappointing Donyell Marshall. The Warriors won 26 games and the no. 1 overall pick, taking Maryland star Joe Smith ahead of the next four selections … Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett. Defensible at the time. I swear.

Smith was awesome in college and everyone pretty much agreed at the time he was the best player in the draft. Garnett was also an even-skinnier project that I seem to remember Minnesota catching an awful lot of shit for drafting where they did.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 21 Mar 2012, 14:05

Freddy Fernandez wrote:That was phenomenal, one of the best things he has put together in a long time.

I read it. I liked it. I like when people talk about blown trades and picks.

But is Bill right about why they were booing exactly? I feel like we got a complete outsiders objective, which we did.

Bricks wrote:Derisive gif aside, started reading. Pretty good so far, though I hope he's not being sarcastic here:

23. Within four months, Nelson resigned as coach and GM, just a couple of weeks before Golden State flipped Gugliotta to Minnesota for the perennially disappointing Donyell Marshall. The Warriors won 26 games and the no. 1 overall pick, taking Maryland star Joe Smith ahead of the next four selections … Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett. Defensible at the time. I swear.

Smith was awesome in college and everyone pretty much agreed at the time he was the best player in the draft. Garnett was also an even-skinnier project that I seem to remember Minnesota catching an awful lot of shit for drafting where they did.

And Stackhouse and McDyess werent exactly world beaters.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Jew Jitsu » 21 Mar 2012, 14:22

They were pretty good, McDyess more so, and certainly on a different level than Joe Smith
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby Bricks » 21 Mar 2012, 14:28

Jew Jitsu wrote:They were pretty good, McDyess more so, and certainly on a different level than Joe Smith

McDyess got badly derailed by injuries but managed to make a nice little niche for himself, way more so than Smith. McDyess would have been a dumber pick at the time, being a 6'7ish power forward, sorta classic tweener mold. Plus, whoever had No. 1 was taking Smith, can't fault the Warriors for that. He may have been undercoached, or not had enough talent around him or whatever so you can blame GS there. But a 6'11 and athletic guy who put up 20/11 two straight seasons in a loaded ACC had to go first.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby nova » 21 Mar 2012, 14:30

Joe Smith in college was what Kevin Garnett turned into in the NBA. He was a monster.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby like OR no like » 21 Mar 2012, 14:30

I'm probably the only guy in America who thought Acie Law could be a good pro.
like OR no like
Grantland Editor

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 21 Mar 2012, 14:41

Bricks wrote:
Jew Jitsu wrote:They were pretty good, McDyess more so, and certainly on a different level than Joe Smith

McDyess got badly derailed by injuries but managed to make a nice little niche for himself, way more so than Smith. McDyess would have been a dumber pick at the time, being a 6'7ish power forward, sorta classic tweener mold. Plus, whoever had No. 1 was taking Smith, can't fault the Warriors for that. He may have been undercoached, or not had enough talent around him or whatever so you can blame GS there. But a 6'11 and athletic guy who put up 20/11 two straight seasons in a loaded ACC had to go first.

That's why he wrote

Defensible at the time. I swear.

Though, if you're arguing it was more than defensible, that it was the no-brainer, consensus no.1 pick, I get what you're going for. Smith was a bigger, more athletic, better defending Elton Brand in college. that's a compliment, right?

this was pretty good. made me feel better to be a twolves fan. didn't think that was possible these days.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Bricks » 21 Mar 2012, 14:45

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Bricks wrote:

That's why he wrote

Defensible at the time. I swear.

Though, if you're arguing it was more than defensible, that it was the no-brainer, consensus no.1 pick, I get what you're going for. Smith was a bigger, more athletic, better defending Elton Brand in college. that's a compliment, right?

this was pretty good. made me feel better to be a twolves fan. didn't think that was possible these days.

Right, it was more than defensible, it was pretty much a no-brainer. The "I swear" right behind "Defensible" made me unsure if he was joking or not, though. I'm probably a dumbass for being unable to tell but, meh.

And yeah, I'd say that's a huge compliment on the Brand comparison.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby RUSF18 » 21 Mar 2012, 14:50

Bricks wrote:Derisive gif aside, started reading. Pretty good so far, though I hope he's not being sarcastic here:

Pretty sure he was being serious when he said that. My older brother was at Maryland with Joe so I followed him closely...he absolutely was considered the lock #1, with Stackhouse being the likely #2. I believe McDyess had a late run (possibly in the tourney?) that vaulted him.

Smith was also a very good player into his 3rd year in the league, thought to be getting a $100+ million deal at the end of it. All of a sudden, he got really soft and started being much more of a jump shooter, not that he was ever a seriously physical player. Then the Minny scandal happened and it seemed like he really suffered from it. Later on though he did become a better rebounder and glue guy, and was definitely a solid vet.
RUSF18
Grantland Editor

Postby Dthefritz » 21 Mar 2012, 17:22

It may have been a no-brainer at the time, but the way i read it was giving up some ground towards younger readers who might not have remembered that.

IIRC, McDyess had a monster workout where he recorded a 42 inch standing vertical. While he likely never would have challenged KG or Duncan, he could have been the 3rd best PF of that generation (ahead of O'Neal, Brand, and Wallace) without the injuries.

While this was a very good article IMO, I was vaguely irked that he suddenly played up Webber to the max when he's been extremely harsh on him in the past.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Bricks » 21 Mar 2012, 17:46

It may have been a no-brainer at the time, but the way i read it was giving up some ground towards younger readers who might not have remembered that.

That's what I was wondering. If it was sarcastic, it would have been off-base. Even with McDyess's athleticism, passing on Smith for McD in 1995 would have been dumb dumb dumb. Hindsight's 20/20.

I was vaguely irked that he suddenly played up Webber to the max when he's been extremely harsh on him in the past.

To stay TRU to our current banner, I did think it was funny he made a crack about Adonal Foyle playing at Colgate immediately after mentioning Steve Nash as someone GS past on given Nash played at Santa Clara. Yeah, he helped beat Zona in the 1993 tourney, but Mouse McFadden got Cleveland State a huge win in 1986 so it doesn't necessarily mean pro success. In hindsight Nash would have been a fantastic pick since he's one of the greatest offensive PGs ever and was in the area, but in 1996 that would have been going off on a tremendous limb. Plus, a main crux of the article is GS has chased a center ever since losing Parrish. Fuller was around 7'1 and really good in college so the pick made some sense.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby mj3528 » 21 Mar 2012, 18:25

Bricks wrote:

That's what I was wondering. If it was sarcastic, it would have been off-base. Even with McDyess's athleticism, passing on Smith for McD in 1995 would have been dumb dumb dumb. Hindsight's 20/20.

I was vaguely irked that he suddenly played up Webber to the max when he's been extremely harsh on him in the past.

To stay TRU to our current banner, I did think it was funny he made a crack about Adonal Foyle playing at Colgate immediately after mentioning Steve Nash as someone GS past on given Nash played at Santa Clara. Yeah, he helped beat Zona in the 1993 tourney, but Mouse McFadden got Cleveland State a huge win in 1986 so it doesn't necessarily mean pro success. In hindsight Nash would have been a fantastic pick since he's one of the greatest offensive PGs ever and was in the area, but in 1996 that would have been going off on a tremendous limb. Plus, a main crux of the article is GS has chased a center ever since losing Parrish. Fuller was around 7'1 and really good in college so the pick made some sense.

2 huge wins, don't forget Cleveland State's beating of BSMB's St. Joe's. Cleveland State also should have beat David Robinson's Navy team, but the officials would not permit it.

Your point remains though.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Next

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh