Bill Simmons' Tears

Discuss the columns here!

Bill Simmons' Tears

Postby Briandong79 » 06 Feb 2012, 15:23

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Re: Bill Simmons' Tears

Postby mj3528 » 06 Feb 2012, 15:37

It would have been a good catch by Welker, but this is not true:

Had Welker hauled that football in, the catch itself would have been on the level of Manningham's tremendous catch that kick-started the winning Giants drive.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby Colonel Angus » 06 Feb 2012, 15:40

I agree, mj.

This also is not true:

15. That Didn't Even Crack the Top Five of My "Worst Boston Defeats of My Lifetime" List

Game 6 of the 1986 World Series was worse. Super Bowl XLII was worse. Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS was worse. Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals was worse. The "Too Many Men on the Ice" game in Montreal was worse.

There is no fucking way any hockey game in history was worse for Simmons than losing that Super Bowl last night. No fucking way.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Bricks » 06 Feb 2012, 15:47

Found the Hoosiers gym tidbit pretty interesting. Would have been cool to see photos from it.

It's hard to overstate how provincial Massachusetts is. There's an "Us Against Them" mentality that's just part of the DNA. You grow up there, you live a full life there, you die there. That's how it's supposed to play out. There's been a local undercurrent for the past few years that Brady thinks he's too good for Boston (because he moved to New York, then California), that he cares too much about being a celebrity, that Gisele made him soft, that he's not really "one of us."

:19:

Pretty good work day time-killer, all in all. It read like an older Simpson column. I liked that he acknowledged his hanging onto the Tyree catch is ridiculous.

ETA:

This was a night when you try to keep everything in perspective by going through the checklist of reasons why you shouldn't be depressed — "Are my kids healthy?" (CHECK) "Do I love my significant other?" (CHECK) "Are my parents still alive and healthy?" (CHECK) "Do I like my job?" (CHECK) "Do I have a good group of friends?" (CHECK) — and just by doing that, you feel like the biggest moron on the planet.

I have never been able to answer the question, "Why does this matter to me so much?" That's just the way it's always been. Ever since I can remember. You get older, your life changes, your friends change, your house changes, family members start dying, your kids start morphing into miniature people … and yet, one thing never changes for anyone who truly cares about sports. See, there's no feeling quite like watching your team blowing a big game. It's devastating. It's paralyzing. It's the only feeling that a 6-year-old, a 42-year-old and a 64-year-old can share exactly. You never get over it. You never stop thinking about the three or four plays that could have swung the game. It becomes something of a sports tattoo. You live with it forever, and then you die.

Granted, his rationale also comes from 3 Super Bowls, 2 World Series, 1 NBA Finals and 1 Stanley Cup win for his teams in one decade...but the rest is salient. I have to actively calm myself down when shit happens with my teams, and I know it's ridiculous. But it's like clockwork.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby Briandong79 » 06 Feb 2012, 15:56

Colonel Angus wrote:I agree, mj.

This also is not true:

15. That Didn't Even Crack the Top Five of My "Worst Boston Defeats of My Lifetime" List

Game 6 of the 1986 World Series was worse. Super Bowl XLII was worse. Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS was worse. Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals was worse. The "Too Many Men on the Ice" game in Montreal was worse.

There is no fucking way any hockey game in history was worse for Simmons than losing that Super Bowl last night. No fucking way.

I think he's written about that game before and that it was the first game that was really heartbreaking when he was a kid, so I could see why it would resonate with him. That basically kills his whole hypothesis that the feelings you get from sports at any age are identical, but oh well.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Colonel Angus » 06 Feb 2012, 15:58

Briandong79 wrote:

This also is not true:

I think he's written about that game before and that it was the first game that was really heartbreaking when he was a kid, so I could see why it would resonate with him. That basically kills his whole hypothesis that the feelings you get from sports at any age are identical, but oh well.

He has written about it, when he was trying to pretend he was an old-school hockey fan. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby bosux » 06 Feb 2012, 16:11

Colonel Angus wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

This also is not true:

He has written about it, when he was trying to pretend he was an old-school hockey fan. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.

but he used to call his buddy wacker every night and gush about the games!
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Prez » 06 Feb 2012, 17:12

Phil Simpson wrote:Eli was slightly better. The right team won.

Amen.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby skinny pete » 06 Feb 2012, 19:31

Fake Grantland wrote:FREELANCERS: We're looking for someone who's spent most the past decade in a coma to write a piece on how unlucky Boston sports fans are
skinny pete
Yankee

Postby Gregs Kite » 06 Feb 2012, 20:32

Fuck Noo Yawk. You tell em Billy!
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » 06 Feb 2012, 21:13

Colonel Angus wrote:He has written about it, when he was trying to pretend he was an old-school hockey fan. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.

I buy it, for the simple reason that when you're that young, you don't realize how uncool hockey is and think it's on the same level as every other sport (unless of course you're in a part of the country where it is). What I'm guessing happened to Simmons is that he went to school in Greenwich and hockey had no social cache, so he abandoned it until his post-college slacker phase where he spent an inordinate amount of time playing nintendo hockey and nursing hangovers. Then when he got a "real job", hockey got the short shrift. This is a pattern I've noticed with a number of people. Of course the "real job" isn't writing about sports for a living in most cases, but still.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby someguysomewhere » 07 Feb 2012, 01:25

Actually thought that was a decent column. Less schtick than usual.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby mister bacon » 07 Feb 2012, 23:02

i too enjoyed this.

mj3528 wrote:It would have been a good catch by Welker, but this is not true:

Had Welker hauled that football in, the catch itself would have been on the level of Manningham's tremendous catch that kick-started the winning Giants drive.

and i agree with you on this. would have been a nice catch, but manningham's was the play of the game. welker's would have been simply making a play he should have made.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JT99 » 18 Jan 2017, 22:02

Stumbled on to this article today and thought that the tenth question in the interview and the response were fun.

I know we like fun.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Dthefritz » 18 Jan 2017, 22:17

JT99 wrote:Stumbled on to this article today and thought that the tenth question in the interview and the response were fun.

I know we like fun.

I enjoyed that as well. Millions of dads and imagination-deficient simpletons worship this film, why should the director know or care who Billy is?

I actually like the movie, but can't really see watching it a zillion times and knowing every single line.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh