Apparently Ryan Reynolds isn't a Movie STAR!

Discuss the columns here!

Apparently Ryan Reynolds isn't a Movie STAR!

Postby RUSF18 » 30 Jun 2011, 08:42

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/671 ... movie-star

I had to do it...4,397 words on movie stars from Simmons. 9 pages when c/p into Word.
RUSF18
Grantland Editor

Re: Apparently Ryan Reynolds isn't a Movie STAR!

Postby Briandong79 » 30 Jun 2011, 09:04

The Ryan Reynolds stuff was really bad, the Will Smith stuff is actually sort of interesting.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby the cheese » 30 Jun 2011, 09:16

Briandong79 wrote:The Ryan Reynolds stuff was really bad, the Will Smith stuff is actually sort of interesting.

I read the Will Smith stuff about how he analyzed the trends in box office receipts, and I thought "that is the most rap star thing Will Smith ever did."
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 30 Jun 2011, 10:09

omg anyone who didnt like Waiting needs to be punched in the fucking face.

And Adventureland was geared towards the hipster fruits like Simmons and cheese. It sucked.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby the cheese » 30 Jun 2011, 10:46

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:omg anyone who didnt like Waiting needs to be punched in the fucking face.

And Adventureland was geared towards the hipster fruits like Simmons and cheese. It sucked.

I fucking loved Waiting. That movie was great. I blame Justin Long for it not being a bigger hit.

I have no idea what Adventureland is.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby CourtesyFlush » 30 Jun 2011, 10:53

the cheese wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:omg anyone who didnt like Waiting needs to be punched in the fucking face.

I fucking loved Waiting. That movie was great. I blame Justin Long for it not being a bigger hit.

Agree with both you guys that Waiting is a good movie. Maybe Simmons doesn't like it because it's quirky, but it's got an audience.

I thought this column was meh. I agree with BD that the second part about Will Smith's career arc and choices was interesting.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 30 Jun 2011, 10:58

I thought the column was decent. Did I need to read it or have this knowledge? No, but it was still interesting. I was surprised on how few good movies Ryan Reynolds had been in, and further how few movies Will Smith has been in the last 10 years.

Simmons actually did research and spent some time on this. I think it is because he likes Hollywood more than sports.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 30 Jun 2011, 11:00

He's got some of the worst taste in movies I've ever seen. I made it less than a quarter through.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby White Lightning » 30 Jun 2011, 11:14

the cheese wrote:I fucking loved Waiting. That movie was great. I blame Justin Long for it not being a bigger hit.

Justin Long was even worse in the straight to video sequel, Still Waiting
Gregs Kite - Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am: WL is funny, possibly a full blown alcoholic, and seemingly not a prissy dickhead.
White Lightning
Etiquette Instructor

Postby SDGuy » 30 Jun 2011, 11:20

the cheese wrote:

I like both Waiting and Adventureland.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Postby White Lightning » 30 Jun 2011, 11:24

It made money, earned decent Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews (78 percent!)7 and spawned an eventual sequel that nobody saw.

It actually spawned two (Van Wilder: The Rise of Taj and Van Wilder: Freshman Year). I am pretty sure I am the only one who has seen both of those.
Gregs Kite - Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am: WL is funny, possibly a full blown alcoholic, and seemingly not a prissy dickhead.
White Lightning
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Briandong79 » 30 Jun 2011, 11:37

SDGuy wrote:
the cheese wrote:

I like both Waiting and Adventureland.

Agreed, I thought they were both good movies (Adventureland really wasn't a comedy at all, and was marketed badly, Waiting is very funny).

White Lightning wrote:
It made money, earned decent Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews (78 percent!)7 and spawned an eventual sequel that nobody saw.

It actually spawned two (Van Wilder: The Rise of Taj and Van Wilder: Freshman Year). I am pretty sure I am the only one who has seen both of those.

I've seen them both too. I actually kind of liked Rise of Taj, good looking women in that one, I love the British chick with the huge tits. The guy who plays Van in Freshman Year was also in the prequel for the Dukes of Hazzard movie that went straight to DVD, nice little career niche he's carved out.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby mister bacon » 30 Jun 2011, 12:15

agreed on the rise of Taj, that movie was pretty funny.

If you think Pursuit of Happyness or Ali is Will Smith's defining performance, you would be wrong. It's Six Degrees of Separation.

no.

overall, i enjoyed this. meh.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby White Lightning » 30 Jun 2011, 12:18

Briandong79 wrote:I've seen them both too. I actually kind of liked Rise of Taj, good looking women in that one, I love the British chick with the huge tits. The guy who plays Van in Freshman Year was also in the prequel for the Dukes of Hazzard movie that went straight to DVD, nice little career niche he's carved out.

The Rise of Taj was a solid movie. Freshman Year, for those of you who haven't seen it, features Kristin Cavalarri as a cadet at a military academy. So, its got that going for it.

I had no idea there even was a Dukes of Hazzard straight to DVD prequel (and I thought I was all over that genre). Now I have to see it. Hopefully Coy and Vance are involved. And, the bad guy in Freshman year played Dwight Stifler in two of the American pie presents movies (the far and away best two in my opinion). Maybe, much like Christopher Guest and Judd Apatow have their groups of actors, there is a straight to DVD group that rotates through all of these movies.
White Lightning
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 30 Jun 2011, 12:49

White Lightning wrote:there is a straight to DVD group that rotates through all of these movies.

excellent. can you look in the movies forum and see if there's a straight to DVD thread? if there is, please post some of your favorites. if not, please start one and do the same.

also, let us know who is in this club you speak of...
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Next

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh