Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Discuss the columns here!

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby ComplexLitigations » 06 Mar 2010, 00:24

Olbermann is the scumbag here. Whatever your stance on Simmons is, it wasn't enough for Olbermann to come out and say he didn't like the article, he had to be gutless and personally attack Simmons.

"In the interim I am again left to marvel how somebody can rise to a fairly prominent media position with no discernible insight or talent, save for an apparent ability to mix up a vast bowl of word salad very quickly."

What did Simmons do to deserve that? Simmons DOES make a good argument for why the COMEBACK of Tiger will be tougher, he only says the comeback will be harder than Ali, and he does make some good points. Back to Olbermann being a douchebag, it shows ZERO class to publicly insult someone like that. Obviously Simmons has insight and talent and is often praised as his ability to relate to his fans as a writer. Hate him if you want, but I know a lot of us can pick out a few Simmon's articles that are just well written and great reads.

The saddest part of all this is Olbermann is trying to use his big words to cover up his third grade angst. He's butthurt about the whole ESPN situation from years ago, and goes after Simmons probably because he's a Yankee fan and Simbo is a die hard boston guy. For shame, Keith Olbermann. You're supposed to be better than that, it just goes to show how fake his bullshit ivy league facade is and how EXACTLY like Limbaugh, Beck, etc he is. Simmons didn't deserve this.
nasty nova wrote:I watched Dumb and Dumber three times a day for an entire summer when it was on PPV at my friend's house.
User avatar
ComplexLitigations
Bruce Dickinson
 
Posts: 843
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 13:56

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby nova » 06 Mar 2010, 00:41

ComplexLitigations wrote:Olbermann is the scumbag here. Whatever your stance on Simmons is, it wasn't enough for Olbermann to come out and say he didn't like the article, he had to be gutless and personally attack Simmons.

"In the interim I am again left to marvel how somebody can rise to a fairly prominent media position with no discernible insight or talent, save for an apparent ability to mix up a vast bowl of word salad very quickly."

What did Simmons do to deserve that? Simmons DOES make a good argument for why the COMEBACK of Tiger will be tougher, he only says the comeback will be harder than Ali, and he does make some good points. Back to Olbermann being a douchebag, it shows ZERO class to publicly insult someone like that. Obviously Simmons has insight and talent and is often praised as his ability to relate to his fans as a writer. Hate him if you want, but I know a lot of us can pick out a few Simmon's articles that are just well written and great reads.


But are his well-written articles/great reads indicitive of discrenible insight or talent? Part of the draw of Simmons is that everybody knows someone like him; corny, stubborn to the point of being obnoxious, and a relentless know-nothing. The crux of his argument is valid, IMO.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25500
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby ComplexLitigations » 06 Mar 2010, 01:29

nasty nova wrote:
ComplexLitigations wrote:Olbermann is the scumbag here. Whatever your stance on Simmons is, it wasn't enough for Olbermann to come out and say he didn't like the article, he had to be gutless and personally attack Simmons.

"In the interim I am again left to marvel how somebody can rise to a fairly prominent media position with no discernible insight or talent, save for an apparent ability to mix up a vast bowl of word salad very quickly."

What did Simmons do to deserve that? Simmons DOES make a good argument for why the COMEBACK of Tiger will be tougher, he only says the comeback will be harder than Ali, and he does make some good points. Back to Olbermann being a douchebag, it shows ZERO class to publicly insult someone like that. Obviously Simmons has insight and talent and is often praised as his ability to relate to his fans as a writer. Hate him if you want, but I know a lot of us can pick out a few Simmon's articles that are just well written and great reads.


But are his well-written articles/great reads indicitive of discrenible insight or talent? Part of the draw of Simmons is that everybody knows someone like him; corny, stubborn to the point of being obnoxious, and a relentless know-nothing. The crux of his argument is valid, IMO.


I'd say that Simmons is a talented writer, yes.
nasty nova wrote:I watched Dumb and Dumber three times a day for an entire summer when it was on PPV at my friend's house.
User avatar
ComplexLitigations
Bruce Dickinson
 
Posts: 843
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 13:56

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby dlpin » 06 Mar 2010, 02:14

That said, Simmons' tweets about the issue don't make him look any better, and, given the difference in the number of followers, he should have just let it go.
User avatar
dlpin
Rocky Balboa
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 20:31

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Mar 2010, 09:00

dlpin wrote:That said, Simmons' tweets about the issue don't make him look any better, and, given the difference in the number of followers, he should have just let it go.


I generally agree that Simmons seems to be a little thin-skinned, but given the forum of Olbermann's attack and the viciousness I don't blame him for coming out swinging. I liked Olbermann back when he was on SportsCenter with Dan Patrick, but haven't been entertained by him since. I've never been able to stand any of the political tv commentators anywhere on the spectrum from Olberman to Beck, so I'm generally a big fan of all of them keeping their pie-holes shut.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31569
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby dlpin » 06 Mar 2010, 09:19

Frank the Tank wrote:
dlpin wrote:That said, Simmons' tweets about the issue don't make him look any better, and, given the difference in the number of followers, he should have just let it go.


I generally agree that Simmons seems to be a little thin-skinned, but given the forum of Olbermann's attack and the viciousness I don't blame him for coming out swinging. I liked Olbermann back when he was on SportsCenter with Dan Patrick, but haven't been entertained by him since. I've never been able to stand any of the political tv commentators anywhere on the spectrum from Olberman to Beck, so I'm generally a big fan of all of them keeping their pie-holes shut.


Sure. But a "you live alone" reply to a "no talent" comment doesn't really do anything, other than draw attention to a post in a blog that doesn't have one tenth the following of Simba's twitter. It's not that he replied, it's that the reply is lame and to someone who most wouldn't have ever read if not for it.
User avatar
dlpin
Rocky Balboa
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 20:31

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Private Zod » 06 Mar 2010, 09:50

I kinda am in Simba's corner on this one. I do not profess to agree with most of the shit he writes, but I respect it that he took a controversial (and perhaps) wrong take on a subject and listed points defending it. He never said that Tiger's was more important than Ali's...he contention is that it would be harder in this day and age. I disagree, but then again, I also enjoy readings things I do not agree with.

Olberman could have easily linked this article and stated why he thinks he is wrong. Instead, he posted a snarky comment about someone having no talent who wrote this. This is a very liberal, elite "I am more enlightened than you" move to just state someone is an uniformed idiot and not explain why. I have no problem with Simba calling him out and ripping him for that. I guarantee that as thin skinned as he is, he never would have tweeted that had Olberman not made it into a personal attack. Deadspin ripped his thesis yet he did not attack them because they did not make it personal and they explained wht they thought he was wrong.
User avatar
Private Zod
Pink Helmet
 
Posts: 466
Joined: 09 Jul 2007, 20:29
Location: Philly by way of Brooklyn

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Bricks » 06 Mar 2010, 11:35

Very liberal. :roll: No, it's a very political commentator dickhead thing to do: which is what Olbermann's comments were and political commentators of all stripes are. People are letting their political leanings bleed into this one. Olbermann acted like a jerk because he is one, not because it's a LIBERAL thing to do. For fuck's sake, let's see the forest for the trees here.

I consider this a losing battle no matter what side you're on. Olbermann had to go the extra step from criticism to attack as he always does; Simmons spazzed out with equally childish barbs that don't make him look any better. It's a pretty moronic slapfight and the Simmons' fans posting on Olbermann's blog aren't helping SG's image.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
User avatar
Bricks
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 22:53
Location: #TeamSheikie

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby DinoVelvet » 06 Mar 2010, 11:55

Private Zod wrote:Deadspin ripped his thesis yet he did not attack them because they did not make it personal and they explained wht they thought he was wrong.


I think the primary reason he hasn't spazzed out on Deadspin--and Deadspin hasn't minced words about how moronic the whole comparison was ("doubling-down on stupid"; mocking his sense of the past as being informed solely by Battle of the Network All-Stars and YouTube)--is because he doesn't want to alienate its readership, of which there's probably a decent crossover with his own. I also think he realizes it's a fight he can't win: Deadspin does basically the same thing he does, on the same open cycle, only in an even more caustic/sardonic manner, and the commenters there are both humorous and relentless. He can't bury them under a deluge of 4,000 word columns and constant tweets. Those guys would rip him to shreds, and, in the process, he'd become identified as even more of an establishment figure.

Simba might be a hack, but he knows where his bread is buttered. His continuing relevance depends entirely on the frat house demographic that regards him as some kind of new generational rebel/revolutionary in the world of sports media. If he loses them, he's done, so when it comes to criticism from Deadspin, he really has no choice but to grit his teeth and bear it, much as I know it must pain him to do so.
User avatar
DinoVelvet
Hope College Alum
 
Posts: 179
Joined: 16 Oct 2007, 01:26

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Colonel Angus » 06 Mar 2010, 15:59

DinoVelvet wrote:
Private Zod wrote:Deadspin ripped his thesis yet he did not attack them because they did not make it personal and they explained wht they thought he was wrong.


I think the primary reason he hasn't spazzed out on Deadspin--and Deadspin hasn't minced words about how moronic the whole comparison was ("doubling-down on stupid"; mocking his sense of the past as being informed solely by Battle of the Network All-Stars and YouTube)--is because he doesn't want to alienate its readership, of which there's probably a decent crossover with his own. I also think he realizes it's a fight he can't win: Deadspin does basically the same thing he does, on the same open cycle, only in an even more caustic/sardonic manner, and the commenters there are both humorous and relentless. He can't bury them under a deluge of 4,000 word columns and constant tweets. Those guys would rip him to shreds, and, in the process, he'd become identified as even more of an establishment figure.

Simba might be a hack, but he knows where his bread is buttered. His continuing relevance depends entirely on the frat house demographic that regards him as some kind of new generational rebel/revolutionary in the world of sports media. If he loses them, he's done, so when it comes to criticism from Deadspin, he really has no choice but to grit his teeth and bear it, much as I know it must pain him to do so.



I think this is dead-on.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby NFL Outsider » 06 Mar 2010, 17:59

Colonel Angus wrote:
DinoVelvet wrote:
Private Zod wrote:Deadspin ripped his thesis yet he did not attack them because they did not make it personal and they explained wht they thought he was wrong.


I think the primary reason he hasn't spazzed out on Deadspin--and Deadspin hasn't minced words about how moronic the whole comparison was ("doubling-down on stupid"; mocking his sense of the past as being informed solely by Battle of the Network All-Stars and YouTube)--is because he doesn't want to alienate its readership, of which there's probably a decent crossover with his own. I also think he realizes it's a fight he can't win: Deadspin does basically the same thing he does, on the same open cycle, only in an even more caustic/sardonic manner, and the commenters there are both humorous and relentless. He can't bury them under a deluge of 4,000 word columns and constant tweets. Those guys would rip him to shreds, and, in the process, he'd become identified as even more of an establishment figure.

Simba might be a hack, but he knows where his bread is buttered. His continuing relevance depends entirely on the frat house demographic that regards him as some kind of new generational rebel/revolutionary in the world of sports media. If he loses them, he's done, so when it comes to criticism from Deadspin, he really has no choice but to grit his teeth and bear it, much as I know it must pain him to do so.



I think this is dead-on.


Absolutely. Simpson knows that battling Deadspin would be as fruitless as Apollo fighting Drago.
Read http://thehaternation.blogspot.com or the terrorists have won.
User avatar
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3028
Joined: 24 May 2005, 16:51
Location: Sunset Beach, CA

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby mister bacon » 06 Mar 2010, 18:24

ComplexLitigations wrote:Simmons didn't deserve this.


simmons, a man who rips on people for a living didn't DESERVE this? are you serious? he sits there on every podcast and article and takes blatant shots at pretty much every media figure except those on his network.. which he takes veiled shots at. so then olbermann rips him and calls him an untalented hack (which a majority of those post in this forum do daily. literally.) and now olbermann's an asshole for doing the same thing that simmons does and all of you do? olbermann might be a dick, but y'all need a water break.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 26401
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby NFL Outsider » 06 Mar 2010, 18:38

mister bacon wrote:
ComplexLitigations wrote:Simmons didn't deserve this.


simmons, a man who rips on people for a living didn't DESERVE this? are you serious? he sits there on every podcast and article and takes blatant shots at pretty much every media figure except those on his network.. which he takes veiled shots at. so then olbermann rips him and calls him an untalented hack (which a majority of those post in this forum do daily. literally.) and now olbermann's an asshole for doing the same thing that simmons does and all of you do? olbermann might be a dick, but y'all need a water break.


I am a little surprised that nobody has used the quote above from 2006.
Read http://thehaternation.blogspot.com or the terrorists have won.
User avatar
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3028
Joined: 24 May 2005, 16:51
Location: Sunset Beach, CA

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Bricks » 06 Mar 2010, 18:38

mister bacon wrote:
ComplexLitigations wrote:Simmons didn't deserve this.


simmons, a man who rips on people for a living didn't DESERVE this? are you serious? he sits there on every podcast and article and takes blatant shots at pretty much every media figure except those on his network.. which he takes veiled shots at. so then olbermann rips him and calls him an untalented hack (which a majority of those post in this forum do daily. literally.) and now olbermann's an asshole for doing the same thing that simmons does and all of you do? olbermann might be a dick, but y'all need a water break.


Yeah, nailed it.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
User avatar
Bricks
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 22:53
Location: #TeamSheikie

Re: Simpson-YES, Tiger's Comeback Tougher than Ali's, so SUCK IT

Postby Colonel Angus » 06 Mar 2010, 20:16

NFL Outsider wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
ComplexLitigations wrote:Simmons didn't deserve this.


simmons, a man who rips on people for a living didn't DESERVE this? are you serious? he sits there on every podcast and article and takes blatant shots at pretty much every media figure except those on his network.. which he takes veiled shots at. so then olbermann rips him and calls him an untalented hack (which a majority of those post in this forum do daily. literally.) and now olbermann's an asshole for doing the same thing that simmons does and all of you do? olbermann might be a dick, but y'all need a water break.


I am a little surprised that nobody has used the quote above from 2006.


=D>
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

PreviousNext

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests